Friday, December 19, 2014

Summary of where I visited during my two months in Tokyo and nearby location.

Once you have a chance to live in one city for two months, you will have visited so many places around the city that you might not remember them all. I am also one of those people. However, there are at least two of my friends who asked me for the recommendations for places to stay and where to visit in Tokyo once they knew that I lived there for two months. So, I thought it is a good idea to write down a summary for places that I have visited so that other people will be able to follow some of these places that I found as well. I would say that this will easily be the longest post that I have ever written so far on this blog. Feel free to skip around and find only stuffs that you are interested in. Here is the list of places that I like about Tokyo.

Place to Stay
Flaxstayinn Iidabashi: The hotel is very close to the city, and it was where I lived while I had my two-month internship in Japan. The location is good too since it’s in the middle of Tokyo and lots of subway lines went through there.

Flexstayinn Higashijujo: Here is the place where my mom live when she visited Tokyo since Flaxstayinn IIdabashi was full.

Place to go
Shinjuku: The biggest subway station in Tokyo with lots of malls and business area. Great place to get food and shopping.
      - Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building: You can go on top of this tall building for free to get the good view of Tokyo. On the nice day, you should be able to see Fuji Mountain as well.
View looking at Tokyo Tower from the top of Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building which you can go for free.
      - MK buffet: Thai famous hotpot restaurant that also has a branch in Tokyo. Good place for me since I haven’t been back to Bangkok for awhile.

Shinokubo: Korean part of Tokyo where you can get good korean food (pretty close to Shinjuku).

Shibuya: one big commercial part of the city with lots of malls and shopping stores.
      - Five-crossing Shibuya: One of the most iconic scene in Tokyo where you will see hundreds of people crossing the street at all time. There is also a statue of Hachiko nearby as well. 
Hachikō Statue at DiverCity Tokyo Plaze near Shibuya Crossing
Harajuku: place for teenagers to hang out with stores. (Siam of Bangkok)      - Yoyogi Park: Park next to Harajuku where you can visit Meiji Jingu shrine.

Tsukiji Market: It is a fish market. You can visit the tuna auction at the early morning. You will have to be there around 3 am to be in line for it.
      - You can also get a great sushi there. We had to wait at Sushi Dai (Sushi place in Tsukiji Market) for 1-2 hours, but it is really good.
Sushi Dai, one of the best sushi place in Tsukiji Market.
Ueno: A large park with lots of museums
      - Tokyo National Museum: the national museum with lots of rare stuffs from samurai sword to huge vase.
      - National Museum of Western Art: Claude Monet’s collection is really extensive here.
      - Ueno Zoo (I didn’t go to this one since I am not really a big fan of a zoo)
      - Nearby there is Ameyoko market: where you can get pretty cheap souvenirs and cheap foods.

Yasukuni Shrine: Another park with a shine inside, but the most interesting thing about it is war museum
      - Yūshūkan: War museum in Tokyo displaying war-related items from Shogun period to World War II and the present. (My favorite museum in Tokyo). It is also a home for Mitsubishi A6M Zero which is the most important airplane fighting during World War II against the United States. You can learn about the story of this plane from one of the best animation movies, in my opinion, 'The Wind Rise' by Hayao Miyazaki.
Mitsubishi A6M Zero: One of the most important airplane during World War Two

Odaiba Island: lots of malls and shopping center.
      - With a giant Gundam in front of DiverCity Tokyo Plaza.
Yep, Giant Gandum in front of the Mall.
      - Miraikan -- National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation (Nippon Kagaku Miraikan): very interesting science museum with lots of robots.

Akihabara: the capital of all anime related stuffs (figures, mangas, animations)and electronics.

Asakusa: old part of Tokyo with lots of old stuffs to buy. Also lots of hostels are scattered around this area.
      - Sensō-ji: a famous temple with a giant red lamp.

Ryogoku: A little bit away from main part of Tokyo but it also has a cool museum
      - Edo-Tokyo Museum: Museum about the history of Edo (later named Tokyo)
      - Sumo Museum: where you can actually watch sumo match.
Tokyo Tower and Tokyo Skytree: Two iconic tower in Tokyo. Tokyo is built first, but Tokyo Skytree is the tallest structure in Tokyo.

Suburb of Tokyo
Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum (Edo-Tokyo Tatemono-en): open-air museum for different type of building in Japan.
Public Baht House at Tokyo Edo Open-Air Architectural Museum
Ghibli Museum: Studio Ghibli created famous animation such as Spirit Away. The museum is really popular and you will have to make a reservation before the visit. (I didn’t make reservation so I did not visit.)

Day trip from Tokyo by train
Nikko: Lots of famous temples and also water fall (which I didn’t go because of bad weather)

Kawagoe: Old Edo Town with lots of interesting building with an awesome Bell Tower. I also had chicken in a hot pot here. I think it's really interesting and unique.

Five Lakes Near Fuji Mountain (Lake Saiko): I visited this lake with a hope that I will see the top of the Fuji Mountain. Unfortunately, it was too cloudy that day that we did not have a chance to see the mountain. But the lake is also nice and lots of tourist places are around these five lakes. There is also an ice cave (Narusawa Hyoana-Ice Cave) which came from the eruption of past volcanoes.
Chicken in the Hot Pot at Kawagoe.
Feel free to left comment below if you have any places that I should visit if I go back to Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment